About the Institution
Indiana State University is a world-class center of higher education, located in Terre Haute, Indiana, and serving a multi-state region that stretches from Indianapolis to St. Louis, Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati, and beyond. It has been recognized by the Princeton Review as among the best universities in the Midwest.
Indiana State is a beautiful, pedestrian-friendly campus located within walking distance of local shops, restaurants, and activities in Terre Haute’s historic downtown district. Situated near the Indiana-Illinois border, the campus is about an hour’s drive from Indianapolis and within a few hours of other major metropolitan areas.
Indiana State, one of the most diverse campuses in Indiana, is a welcoming community of students, faculty, and staff representing most U.S. states and many countries around the world. There are more than 260 student-run organizations offering activities and entertainment throughout the year, along with 15 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a first-rate student recreation center with numerous classes and recreational sports programs, and a Performing Arts Series and University Speakers Series that bring national touring productions and speakers to campus.
Indiana State is a place of belonging where students, faculty, and staff learn and thrive together. Join our Sycamore family!
Comments to Applicants
Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for other than practical training. The university will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
This position is open until filled. The review of applications will begin on May 5, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Special Events Manager
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Weekend and evening hours required
Notice of Vacancy Number
Desired Start Date
Staff - Full-Time
Hourly Rate or Salary Range
Commensurate with Experience
Benefits Associated with this Position
- Life Insurance: The coverage amount is based on two and one-half times appointment salary rounded up to the next whole thousand with a maximum coverage of $100,000 and includes the same amount of Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefits. The University currently pays the entire cost of coverage.
- Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Coverage: The cost of coverage is shared between employees and the University. Rates are determined by participation in Wellness Program and use of tobacco products. Coverage is available on the first of the month following appointment date.
- TIAA Retirement Contributions: Contributions begin based upon the first day of employment at a contribution rate of ten (10) percent of base appointment salary paid in full by ISU. The contributions are vested immediately. There are 40 investment options from which to choose.
- TIAA Auto Enroll: New employees are automatically enrolled in a tax deferred retirement program at hire: three (3) percent is deducted before taxes for the program to facilitate retirement planning. Employees may opt out of the program within 90 days.
- Long Term Disability Coverage: Employees are eligible after three (3) years of continuous, regular employment with the University. This policy guarantees approved disabled employees a 66 2/3 percent income protection (from all sources) after 180 days of continuous total disability. Immediate participation is available for current members of a comparable group disability insurance program within 90 days prior to ISU employment and that would have provided income protection upon disability for at least five years.
- Fee Waiver Program: For the employee, spouse and dependent children: Staff may enroll in up to 18 hours of course work each academic year at a reduced rate. Spouses may enroll in 15 semester hours each academic year with 80% of qualified tuition waived. Dependent children of regular full-time staff who are full-time degree seeking undergraduate students at ISU may receive a fee waiver of 80% of qualified tuition for up to a total of ten (10) semesters.
- Sick Leave: Accrued at a rate of 12 days per fiscal year with unlimited accumulation.
- Vacation: Pay level 11 and below accrues up to 15 vacation days earned per year 1 through 4; 20 vacation days per year thereafter. Pay level 12 and above accrues 20 vacation days per year
- Voluntary Life Insurance: Additional amounts of life insurance may be purchased on employee, spouse and dependent children.
- Voluntary Vision Plan: May enroll within the first 31 days of employment date.
Job Summary/Basic Function
Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the Special Events Manager will provide leadership and professional expertise in the planning and implementation of Presidential, Advancement/Foundation and other events and functions. The Special Events Manager will work with senior administration and members of the campus community to collaborate and be responsible for planning high-quality events and functions that meet high standards of excellence and advance the goals of the university. The Manager will help create unique and meaningful experiences for high-level donors, volunteer leaders, elected officials, university administrators, faculty, staff and alumni to help promote positive opinions of the University and engender support from these constituents.
Required Relevant Education & Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree; Experience: 2 to 4 years of event planning.
Excellent verbal and written communications skills. High level of professionalism and ability to build mutually beneficial and respectful relationships with a diverse group of constituencies and vendors. Must demonstrate leadership, project management, fiscal responsibility, time management and organizational skills. High attention to detail. Ability to problem solve.
Knowledge of social and university protocol and etiquette.
Required Field(s) of Study
Preferred Relevant Education and Experience
Degree in communications, hospitality, public relations or related field. Experience in creating, managing and implementing high-level events.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Must possess a valid driver's license
Other Required Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Preferred Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Preferred Other Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Able to adapt to change, Able to learn and retain information, Able to multitask, Able to plan, organize, and implement projects in a timely manner, Able to read English, understand, and follow verbal and written instructions, Able to work both independently and collaboratively, Able to work carefully and politely around others, Able to work well with others, Attention to detail, Demonstration of high ethical standards, integrity, professionalism, politeness, and courteousness, Excellent customer service skills, Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning, teambuilding and problem solving skills, Excellent leadership skills, Excellent public speaking skills, Experience and knowledge in job related program, Experience in an educational environment preferred, Experience with budget management, Math and basic accounting skills, Must be able to travel; some overnight travel, when required, Must be comfortable networking with groups or individuals, Professional demeanor, high energy, dynamic personality and excellent communication and interpersonal skills, Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other computer applications, Proven verbal and written communication skills, Willing to interact with students, Willing to work extended hours during events and peak seasons, when required, Work effectively with a diverse community
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Understanding of the need to be flexible and willingness to do tasks that need to be completed. Must be a problem-solver and able to deal with the unexpected.
Qualifications & Disclaimer
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information on this description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within the classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
All employees and staff of ISU are bound by all NCAA, Missouri Valley Conference and institutional rules and regulations pertaining to intercollegiate athletics and must conduct themselves in accordance therewith. For more complete information on the duties and obligations of ISU employees and staff in this regard, employees and staff should contact the Compliance Office in the ISU Athletic Department.
No ISU employee (whether paid or a volunteer) shall knowingly influence others to furnish the NCAA or an ISU investigator/compliance officer false or misleading information concerning an individual’s involvement in or knowledge of matters relevant to a possible violation of an NCAA regulation. Failure to abide by this term of employment shall constitute unethical conduct as defined by the NCAA and may result in immediate suspension and/or termination of the employment relationship with ISU.
Position Reappointment Required